Please refer to Bhakti – Sufi Traditions Class 12 History Important Questions with solutions provided below. These questions and answers have been provided for Class 12 History based on the latest syllabus and examination guidelines issued by CBSE, NCERT, and KVS. Students should learn these problem solutions as it will help them to gain more marks in examinations. We have provided Important Questions for Class 12 History for all chapters in your book. These Board exam questions have been designed by expert teachers of Standard 12.
Class 12 History Important Questions Bhakti – Sufi Traditions
Very Short Answer Questions :
Question. Which Tamil text is known as Tamil Veda?
Answer: The Nalayira Divyaprabandham – composed by Alvar Saints. It is as important as Four Sanskrit Vedas.
Question. The term great and little traditions were coined by which sociologist ?
Answer: Robert Redfield
Question. The Virashaivas Movement in Karnatka led by which person ?
Question. Who was Andal and Karaikkal Ammaiyar?.
Answer: Andal – Woman Alvar – She composed many poems.
Karaikkal Ammaiyar – devotee of Shiva.
Question. Who was Basavanna ?
Answer: Basavanna was a minister in the court of a Kalachuri Ruler and founder of Virashaivas tradition.
Question. Who was the founder of Chisti Silsilas ?
Answer: Shaikh Muinuddin Chisti .
Short Answer Questions :
Question. Describe the growth of Chishti Silsila of Sufism.
Answer: There were numerous orders of the Sufis in India.
– Eg, Chishti, Suharwardi, Qadiri, Naqshbandi etc.
– In India Chishti was most important order.
– They established themselves at Ajmer, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and the Deccan.
– Shaikh Muinuddin Chishti – called the Khwaja was the first saint of Chishti order.
– Other important saints were Shaikh Qutbuddin Bakhtiyar Kaki, Shaikh Fariduddin Ganj-i-Shakar, Shaikh Nizamuddin Auliya, Baba Farid etc.
– They converted the Hindus to Islam.
– They used the language of people to propogate the ideas.
– Establishment of Khanqahas – for meeting people.
– They spread Islam among lower castes also.
– Mullas were also popular.
– Sultans also granted rent free lands to the Khanqahs and to their Shaikhs.
– The textual traditions are written in several styles and languages.
Question. Describe the origin of Bhakti Movement.
Answer: Causes of the Origin of the Bhakti movement – Evil practices of the Hindus.
– Fear of spread of Islam.
– Influence of Sufi Sects.
– Influence of Vaishnavism.
– Emergence of great reformers – eg. Namdeva, Ravidas, Ramanand, Surdas, Tulsidas, Mirabai, Kabir etc.
Question. What were the main teachings of the Lingayats?
Answer: Against the caste system.
– Questionsed belief in the theory of rebirth.
– Not believed in Child marriages.
– Encouraged widow’s remarriage.
Question. Analyze the relations which existed between the Chisti Sufi Saints and the State.
Answer: Sufi Saints maintained distance from worldly affair, but accepted donations and grants from state.
– Kings set up charitable trust, gave tax free lands.
– Donation disbursed to meet their daily requirements.
– Donation was not used for personal use.
– Kings often needed the Support of the Sufi Saints for their decisions.
– Kings constructed their Tombs near Sufi shrines and Khanqahs.
– Both (The kings and Saints) expected certain established rituals to be performed. Eg. prostration, kissing of the feet.