Please refer to Colonial Cities Class 12 History Important Questions with solutions provided below. These questions and answers have been provided for Class 12 History based on the latest syllabus and examination guidelines issued by CBSE, NCERT, and KVS. Students should learn these problem solutions as it will help them to gain more marks in examinations. We have provided Important Questions for Class 12 History for all chapters in your book. These Board exam questions have been designed by expert teachers of Standard 12.
Class 12 History Important Questions Colonial Cities
Very Short Answer Questions :
Question. Mention a difference between White towns and Black towns during the British period.
Ans. White towns were mainly for whites and Black towns were for the Black people.
Question. Mention merits of hill stations?
Ans. (1) They were important for guarding frontiers.
(2) They were useful for health facilities.
Question. Name the two industrial towns which came up during colonial period?
Ans. (1) Kanpur specialized in leather, woolen and textiles.
(2) Jamshedpur specialized in iron and steel.
Question. What is new gothic style of architecture?
Ans. New gothic style- its roots in buildings specially churches built in northern Europe during the medieval period.
Question. How did the railways affect towns?
Ans. (1) New cities developed as Jamalpur, Bareilly, and Waltair.
(2) Some industrial centres developed.
Short Answer Questions :
Question. What were the concerns that influenced town planning in 19th century?
Ans. (1) Setting a city close to the sea coast was a main concern for commercial objectives.
(2) For security point of view they wanted to live in separate and highly protected settlements.
(3) Preparing maps were highly imperative in order to understand the landscape and topography.
(4) Creating open places in the city was a good way to make the city healthier.
(5) To make sufficient funds for maintenance of the cities was another concern.
Question. To what extent are census data useful in reconstructing patterns of urbanization in the colonial context?
Ans. (1) The British gained information about white and non-white people living in various towns.
(2) British gained information about expansion of cities.
(3) They got knowledge about living standard of the people.
(4) British got knowledge about many diseases.
(5) The census data provided information about age, sex, caste and occupation.
(6) The census data could be converted into social data.
Question. Why were the records preserved in the colonial cities?
Ans. (1) British administration was based on datas and information.
(2) For professional activities they wanted to know more about trading activities.
(3) They wanted to control speed and spread of cities.
(4) For strength of administration they liked to preserve records.
(5) For spreading public facilities records were compulsory.
(6) Records were important for experiences & proper and efficient sale.
Long Answer Questions :
Question. Explain the character of pre-colonial India.
Ans. Administrator, traders, artisans lives in towns fortified walls.
The separation between town and countryside was not rigid. Peasants travelled long distances on pilgrimages passing through towns.
People flocked to towns during times of famines, flood and epidemic.
During the Mughal period these were renowned for concentration of population.
Some of the towns in the south were well known for their temples. Eg.Kanchipuram and Madurai.