Please refer to Computer System Maintenance Class 11 Computer Science Important Questions with solutions provided below. These questions and answers have been provided for Class 11 Computer science based on the latest syllabus and examination guidelines issued by CBSE, NCERT, and KVS. Students should learn these problem solutions as it will help them to gain more marks in examinations. We have provided Important Questions for Class 11 Computer Science for all chapters in your book. These Board exam questions have been designed by expert teachers of Standard 11.
Class 11 Computer Science Important Questions Computer System Maintenance
Short Answer Type Questions:
Question: What do you mean by Plug and Play Devices?
Ans: Plug and play is sometimes abbreviated as PnP. These are devices that start working as soon as they are connected to a computer system. Users do not need to install separate device drivers to use these devices. The computer automatically checks these devices and loads their drivers automatically. The keyboard, for example, is a plug and play device. When we attach the keyboard to the computer, the computer automatically loads its drivers and the keyboard becomes operational.
Question: What is Control Panel in Windows operating system?
Ans: The Control Panel is an important feature of the Windows operating system. It allows the user to modify various settings of the computer system. The control panel contains many applications that can be used to view and modify various settings of hardware or software. For example: Control Panel uses applications like Display, Keyboard and Mouse for hardware settings while Date and Time, Power Options, Fonts and Admin Tools are applications related to software settings.
Question: Write about the PC Security tools.
Ans: Computer security plays an important role in keeping the data safe in the computer. Computer security prevents various types of viruses and malware from entering into the computer. We use a variety of tools/software in the computer for its security. These tools/software are called PC security tools. For example: Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall, Windows Defender, etc.
Question: What is Preventive Maintenance?
Ans: Preventive maintenance means regular maintenance of computer hardware. Preventive maintenance ensures that the computer system is functioning properly. If we take good care of our computer system, it will not crash and our data will not be lost. We must follow the preventive maintenance guidelines to prevent problems with our computer.
Question: What do you know about Windows Operating Systems?
Ans: The Windows operating system is a system software that acts as an interface between a user and computer hardware. It provides the user a graphical user interface (GUI) to work with system. It is developed by Microsoft. Microsoft released the first version of Windows in 1985. Microsoft has released several versions of Windows so far. Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are the important versions of the Windows operating system.
Long Answer Type Questions:
Question: What are various Shutting Down options? Explain.
Ans: The option to turn off the computer in the Windows is available in Start menu. When we click on Start button, we see many other options along with the Shut Down button which are described as follows:
• Switch User: We use this option when we need to allow another user to log in without ending our window session.
• Log off: Using this option we end our Windows session and returned back to the login screen.
• Lock: This process does not result in a complete logout, but rather it locks the computer by displaying the Windows login screen so that no one can tamper with our computer. To get into the computer, we have to type our password.
• Restart: When this option is used, the computer shuts down and then restarts itself. It is also called Reset or Warm Boot.
• Sleep: It is also known as stand-by. This option puts the computer in low-power consumption mode which saves power.
• Shut Down: This option is also known as Turn Off. When this option is used, the computer shuts down completely.
Question: Explain the basic guidelines for preventive maintenance.
Ans: The basic guidelines for preventive maintenance are:
• Shut down and unplug the system before cleaning any part of the computer system.
• Thoroughly clean the computer case and its ports.
• Clean the dust layer at the bottom of the mouse.
• Do not press the left, right and scroll buttons of the mouse too hard.
• After using the keyboard, cover it to protect it from dust.
• Clean the monitor case with a clean cloth.
• The power cables of the computer should be of high quality. The connection points of the power cables should not be loose.
• Clean the DVD / CD discs gently with a soft cloth. When cleaning the disc, clean it from the center hole to outward. Do not clean the disk in a circular or rotating direction.
Question: What are ports? Explain any two types of computer ports.
Ans: A computer port is a docking point that can be used to connect an external device to a computer. For example: Ports are used to connect a monitor, webcam, speaker, or other device to a computer. PS/2 port, Ethernet port, VGA port, USB port etc. are some of the important ports. The two important ports are described as follows:
• Universal Serial Bus (USB) Port: This is a very popular type of port. This port is used to connect external USB devices such as printers, scanners, mouse, keyboards, etc. to the computer. This port was introduced in 1997. The black USB port represents version 2.0 and the blue USB port represents version 3.0. Data transfer speed of USB 3.0 port is much higher than USB 2.0. USB based devices can also receive power from the USB port
• VGA Port: The full form of VGA is Video Graphics Array. The VGA port is also called the monitor port. It is used to connect a monitor / flat panel display (LCD, LED etc.) to a computer video card. This port has 15 holes.
Question: Write the difference between software update and upgrade.
Ans: Updates and upgrades are two different ways to make changes to a software. But the main difference is in the changes made to them and the importance of modification in them.
Question: What are Utility Programs? Explain any one utility program in detail. Q4
Ans: Programs that perform specific tasks related to the management of various resources or files on a computer are called utility programs. For example: Programs related to Memory Management, Virus Protection, File Compression, etc. are called the utility programs. These softwares play a supporting role for the users. Examples of some important utility programs are File Compression Tool, Disk Defragmentation, Disk Clean Up, Backup and Restore etc.
Disk Cleanup: Disk Cleanup is a utility related to computer maintenance. It is inbuilt utility of Microsoft Windows operating system. When this utility is used, it searches for files on the computer’s hard disk that are no longer needed, such as temporary Internet files, deleted files in the recycle bin, other temporary files, etc. After finding such additional files, the process of deleting those files from the computer is started. Deleting these files permanently from the computer frees up hard disk space.